Our Law Office

About Our Law Office

Mr. Girsky operates his law practice out of the historic Bowling-Hughes house built circa 1880 by George S. Bowling. This beautiful two story brick office is nearly 4000 square feet of elegance and grandeur. The grand staircase is highlighted by a gorgeous stained glass window on the landing. Fireplaces, bay windows and a wrap around porch work together to make this historic home an awesome location to conduct business but with all of the comfort and latest technological innovations that truly make it a state of the art law office.

Dr. George S. Bowling attended Bethel College in Russellville, Kentucky, and the Warren Military Institute in Bowling Green, Kentucky. He came to Clarksville in 1880 and with his brother James M. Boling established Clarksville's first ice plant in 1881. They leased Poston's Spring for their endeavor, later buying the spring outright. Prior to this time, natural and lake ice had been used. Machine ice made from fresh spring water quickly replaced other forms of ice. In 1884 they organized a bottling works and the firm became the Clarksville Ice Factory and Bottling Works. In 1887 the firm merged with Cunningham Brothers' coal and feed store business, establishing the firm of Bowling Brothers and Cunningham. In 1895 the office of the firm was located on the corner of Fifth and Franklin Streets.

George Bowling purchased this lot from Mariana T. Cobb, widow of Dr. Joshua Cobb on November 25, 1879. Mrs. Cobb was the former Mariana T. Dortch, daughter of Colonel Henry H. Bryan, who had represented the Clarksville district in Congress for four years. Dr. Joshua Cobb was a graduate of West Point and a physician. Prior to coming to Clarksville in 1851, he was with the Cumberland Iron Works Company in neighboring Stewart County, Tennessee. He was elected mayor of Clarksville in 1865. Dr. Cobb's estate extended from Madison Street to Commerce Street and from Fifth Street to Sixth Street. Dr. Cobb purchased this land from Benjamin Wilkins on January 13, 1857.

Mrs. Lady B. Bowling sold this house and lot to Dr. Maurice L. Hughes on April 1, 1920. The arched one-tiered veranda was added by Dr. Hughes in the 1920's.

The office is conveniently located within walking distance of the courthouse and has free private parking directly behind the building.