The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky
Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation
Local 931.266.4689

February 2016 Archives

Consequences for failure to pay TN court ordered child support

The point of seeking child support from a child's parent is to get financial support for the benefit of the child. Financial support can benefit a child of unwed parents in so many ways. It can go toward purchasing healthy food for dinner, school costs, extracurricular activities or anything that will help a child to prosper and grow. This is what makes not receiving Tennessee court-ordered child support so difficult. Unpaid child support represents all the opportunities a child could have had, if only the child support payments were made by the non-custodial parent.

Resolving TN military divorce does not have to be a struggle

If someone could make the process of military divorce easier for you and your family, wouldn't you want to contact that person? At The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky in Montgomery County, we understand that military divorce comes with its own set of rules in comparison to civilian divorce. Military benefits, pensions and child custody arrangements can all be settled in a way that makes sense for the divorcing spouses and their family. Also, an active deployment does not have to stop a person from seeking a change in marital status.

Financial mistakes in a Montgomery county divorce can be avoided

Has your mom every said to you, you can do this the easy way or you can do this the hard way? Well this phrase is applicable to Tennessee residents who are going through property division during a divorce. The outcome of property division is the separation of assets and liabilities. However, the method by which these items are divided can make a big difference for both parties.

Is child support enforced if parent in arrears moves from state?

When you are responsible for co-parenting a child from separate households, it can be complicated to say the least. Managing schedules, school, and the holidays flawlessly is the hope for most parents who share a child custody or visitation of their child. Sometimes, despite a parent's best attempts, a co-parent responsible for child support becomes in arrears, or late, with their child support payments. Let's say this parent moves out of Tennessee while in a position of delinquency, what are the custodial parent's options?

Reasonable and fixed visitation rights, explained

For parents who are not cohabitating, some form of child custody or visitation rights are the answer for a child to spend time with both parents. Depending on the specific circumstances, some parents find that one parent has custody while the other has visitation rights. Visitation schedules are not necessarily rigid, and can be tailored to meet the factors of each family situation.

We answer questions of property division in a TN divorce

Can a division of money and assets be more than a have or have-not situation? At The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky, we think so. It is true that money is a tangible asset and can either be counted, or not. When a divorce forces a couple to take their assets and liabilities and divide them, there is a way to make sure it is an equitable division. This end-goal would begin with an accurate valuation of shared assets.

TN Supreme Court passes opinion on termination of parental rights

Tennessee's Constitution grants rights to all citizens, and parental rights fall under the protection of the Constitution. In a recent decision by the Tennessee Supreme Court, the Court recognized that the Due Process Clauses of both the federal and state constitutions protect parents' fundamental rights to have custody of their children and to care for them. However, this did not propel the Court to find that parents can appeal termination orders based on ineffective representation by appointed counsel.

Why apply for child support modification in Montgomery County?

Maybe you are unsatisfied with a parent's failure to uphold an aspect of their child support arrangement. Maybe you are the parent who has found themselves in a position that makes it difficult to uphold a prior agreement. Whatever the reason, child support modification is an option for unmarried parents sharing custody of a child. At the heart of the issue is a child that needs the love and support of his or her parents in a way that is attainable for that parent.

The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky
503 Madison St.
Clarksville, TN 37040

Toll Free: 888-358-4290
Phone: 931-266-4689
Fax: 931-552-7188
Clarksville Law Office Map