The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky
Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation
Local 931.266.4689

January 2018 Archives

Can't pay your child support? Maybe you can modify your payments

Tennessee family law judges know that life can change in a moment and a person's financial situation can go from bad to worse very quickly. As such, if you're paying monthly child support payments and you suddenly lose your job, you might be able to submit a request to modify your child support payments in order to lower your monthly obligations.

Are you facing the risk of a supervised child visitation order?

Some Tennessee parents have their parental rights stripped from them by state family law courts. Although it's extremely rare, these parents will not have the right to even visit with their children. This kind of situation is one that most Tennessee parents will view as a nightmare scenario and they will want to avoid it at all cost by protecting and defending their rights as a parent whenever they are challenged.

What are the rights of an unmarried father?

Not only is it best for children to spend as much time as possible with both parents, but it's also -- in most cases -- the legal right of both parents to spend time with their children. This issue is important when considering the rights of an unmarried father, who may find that his ex is trying to prevent him from spending time with his child.

How does a home get divided in a divorce?

Divvying up the family home is never easy in a divorce. Both spouses will likely be emotionally attached to the residence, and neither of them may want to give up the property. Will one spouse keep the property and the other spouse move out? Will the property need to be liquidated and the proceeds divided?

3 reasons January is divorce month

Divorce is not the taboo it was in decades past, but for many couples, there are factors that delay filing. If you have decided that separation is the best option for you and your spouse, timing is still an important consideration. You may want to wait until it is convenient for everybody involved, and for many people, that time happens to be at the beginning of a new year in the month of January.

The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky
503 Madison St.
Clarksville, TN 37040

Toll Free: 888-358-4290
Phone: 931-266-4689
Fax: 931-552-7188
Clarksville Law Office Map