The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky
Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation
Local 931.266.4689

May 2018 Archives

How to address custody exchanges in a parenting plan

When both parents are responsible and show up for their child custody exchanges on time, without making last-minute changes and adjustments, the co-parenting relationship will run a lot smoother and be less complicated. However, not all parents will be responsible enough to adhere to the preplanned details relating to child exchanges. For this reason, parents may want to include some specific guidelines within the parenting plan. These guidelines will ensure that the other parent acts responsibly when it comes to the way child exchanges are carried out.

3 questions to ask before a child relocation request

There are many reasons why a parent may wish to relocate to another state with his or her child. These might include the offer of a lucrative new job, living closer to friends and family in another part of the country or just to make a fresh start at life in a place you've wanted to live for a long time.

Military marriages and domestic violence

Every marriage has its problems, but the challenges can be unique when one or both spouses are in the military. Unfortunately, as you may have experienced, domestic violence can also be an issue in military marriages. Members of the armed forces are under a great deal of stress, with deployments and frequent moves further straining a marriage. This does not mean you or other Tennessee residents should put up with abuse in your marriage, however.

Stay-at-home parents and divorce

If you're planning a divorce and you're a stay-at-home parent, you're probably concerned about your ability to stay financially afloat and your ability to support your children after you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse go your separate ways. In many cases, stay-at-home parents shouldn't need to concern themselves about falling into poverty after their divorces conclude. In fact, many stay-at-home parents can pursue alimony or spousal maintenance payments in their divorce proceedings.

Special needs children and child custody

State family law courts are beginning to support the idea of joint 50/50 child custody more and more. In these arrangements, children divide their time living with each parent half of the time. Many children adapt well to these arrangements and enjoy spending as much time as they can with both parents, but other children may have difficulty with this kind of schedule.

Family care plans for military service personnel

If you're a single parent serving in the armed forces, or if both you and your spouse are service members, you need to create a "family care plan" that maps out how your children will receive care in the event of your deployment. As a part of your military family care plan, there are three things you need to codify:

The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky
503 Madison St.
Clarksville, TN 37040

Toll Free: 888-358-4290
Phone: 931-266-4689
Fax: 931-552-7188
Clarksville Law Office Map