The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky
Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation
Local 931.266.4689

Military Divorce Archives

How does the military get involved in child support?

If you have a child with a military service member or veteran, it's important to know that there are federal laws regarding their obligation to pay child support that has been ordered by a court or which they've agreed to pay in a signed legal agreement with their co-parent. These regulations aren't meant to conflict with or override state child support statutes but to help ensure that these parents abide by any support agreements.

Ex-military spouses: You might be able to receive retirement pay

Ex-military spouses have the right to receive a portion of their ex-spouse's retirement benefits. This right is protected by the Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act (USFSPA), which was enacted in 1982 by Congress. The law permits state courts to treat military retired pay as retirement benefits that are a part of the marital estate, and therefore, divisible in accordance with state property division laws.

Family care plans for military service personnel

If you're a single parent serving in the armed forces, or if both you and your spouse are service members, you need to create a "family care plan" that maps out how your children will receive care in the event of your deployment. As a part of your military family care plan, there are three things you need to codify:

Military divorce and separation agreements

As an alternative to divorce, military service members might want to draft and sign a separation agreement. There are two kinds of separation agreements -- one involves couples entering into an out-of-court agreement and another that involves a court order and court approval of agreement. What follows is a description of out-of-court separation agreements for military service members.

Military family law: When children are born abroad

Any child born to a U.S. citizen will also receive citizenship, even if the child is born overseas on a military base. However, when it comes to military parents and their children born overseas, they usually have questions about how citizenship works. In this article, we'll review the different ways babies receive their citizenship when born to U.S. citizens overseas.

Supreme Court ruling lets veteran pay less money to ex-spouse

A disabled veteran won a U.S. Supreme Court case last month. The ruling means that his ex-wife will receive less in military retirement benefits each month. The ruling could also affect other disabled veterans when it comes to how much of their retirement pensions they need to split with their exes.

The unique challenges faced by military couples

In virtually every Tennessee divorce, the most important issues for consideration boil down to money and children. When it's a military divorce, the long deployments and constant moving around cause child- and money-related issues to create even higher levels of consternation.

Calculating the distribution of a military retirement in divorce

When a military servicemember and his or her spouse get a divorce, the spouse will have the right to receive a share of the servicemember's retirement benefits in many cases. As such, most servicemembers and their spouses will want to gain a deeper understanding of how the benefits will be divided if they are considering going through a divorce.

Happy 2017 and welcome to divorce season

Welcome to 2017, and after the party confetti is cleaned up off the ground and the empty bottles thrown away, welcome to divorce season too. Every January is when the most divorces are filed each year. In fact, a spokesperson for the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers claims that he sees approximately 25 to 30 percent more divorces in January every year like clockwork.

The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky
503 Madison St.
Clarksville, TN 37040

Toll Free: 888-358-4290
Phone: 931-266-4689
Fax: 931-552-7188
Clarksville Law Office Map