The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky
Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation
Local 931.266.4689

Modifications and Relocation Archives

What divorced parents need to know about relocation

At some point after a divorce and while their children are still minors, many parents face the issue of relocation. If you're the custodial parent, you can't just pack up and move when a once-in-a-lifetime job opportunity comes along in another state, or you need to help care for an aging parent who lives thousands of miles away. Your co-parent (assuming that they have parental rights) needs to approve that move. If they don't, a court will.

Gaining greater child custody and visitation after getting sober

Your addiction to alcohol and/or drugs led to the end of your marriage and likely damaged your relationship with your children. Your divorce and your inability to get custody rights or even unsupervised visits with your kids helped you face your problems and get treatment. You sought care in an in-patient treatment center, joined a 12-step program and found a therapist who specializes in treating people with alcohol and drug problems.

My spouse moved in violation of our child custody agreement

A spouse with shared child custody -- in most cases -- cannot simply move away with the child from the other parent without permission. Instead, both parents must agree on important decisions like this, which could negatively affect the relationship between the child and the parent who's left behind.

Can I change my child support orders?

Whether you're the "paying" parent or the "receiving" parent, your child support orders are not set in stone. Imagine your child contracted a serious and costly illness, for example. You might be able to file an appeal to the family law court to adjust your spouse's child support payments to better reflect a fair reimbursement to cover the costs of your child's illness.

Can't pay your child support? Maybe you can modify your payments

Tennessee family law judges know that life can change in a moment and a person's financial situation can go from bad to worse very quickly. As such, if you're paying monthly child support payments and you suddenly lose your job, you might be able to submit a request to modify your child support payments in order to lower your monthly obligations.

Can I modify my child support payments?

If a Tennessee family law court ordered you to pay child support each month, you will need to pay this money exactly in accordance with your court orders. Failure to pay your child support obligations on time could result in serious repercussions -- like wage garnishment and even jail time -- but what if you lose your job or get sick and can't make your payments anymore?

What's a COLA clause mean in a divorce settlement?

Are you receiving child support, but you're having a hard time putting together sufficient cash to pay the bills each month due to an increase in cost of living? Maybe your rent has increased and the grocery bills and gas bills are getting higher by the year, and you need some extra money every month to help with child care.

4 reasons why you might need a child support modification

Life is not constant, and sometimes we hit a serious roadblock when it comes to our income generating potential. If you're just a single Tennessee resident with no family to support, a big change in your income might be easier to handle. However, if you have to pay child support each month, you could find yourself in serious trouble with the law if you get behind.

Modifications to child support agreements in Tennessee

A divorce agreement is not set in stone, and neither is a divorce ruling -- especially when it comes to children. Life circumstances of two ex-spouses could change, making a child support, child custody or parenting plan subject to change. This article will look at several scenarios that could result in child support modification by a Tennessee court.

Relocating children after divorce

As a parent, you always want the best for your children, and often that involves making difficult and possibly unpopular decisions. Planning to relocate to another city or state with children following a divorce can be a complicated matter that may be a hard sell for the other parent, grandparents, the children themselves and even the courts determining the terms of custody.

The Law Office of Steven C. Girsky
503 Madison St.
Clarksville, TN 37040

Toll Free: 888-358-4290
Phone: 931-266-4689
Fax: 931-552-7188
Clarksville Law Office Map