Your Legal Guide Through Life’s Twists And Turns

Mayor and ex-wife continue divorce settlement case

On Behalf of | Oct 30, 2012 | Divorce

Citizens of Tennessee know that marital disputes are not confined to one particular city or state. A mayor of the bordering city of Southaven and his ex-wife are in the middle of ongoing divorce proceedings, and one factor that this former couple is facing is the modification of child support.

On October 4 of this year, the Southaven mayor filed a motion in DeSoto County Chancery Court requesting that his ex-wife have limited access to certain information and documents during the settlement proceedings. According to the mayor, his ex-wife requested certain documents without cause in their divorce.

Another trial was held at the Grenada County Courthouse with a chancery court judge overseeing the entire case. Both parties filed motions.

This divorce case originated from the ex-wife’s petition of the amendment to their 2011 divorce. Based on the ex-wife’s petition, the mayor allegedly threatened her using his political influence, hid some assets and drank too much alcohol in front of their kids. The ex-wife requested a modification of the child support agreement and certain other changes to the current divorce settlement.

In an October 4 petition, the mayor denied the allegations made by his ex-wife. He also requested amendments to the existing child support settlements. According to the mayor, the modification of child support is necessary since there were countless changes in his situation since the first settlement was finalized.

There are many reasons why child support obligations may need to be modified, such as job loss, relocation and changes to the ex-spouse’s lifestyle. The financial capabilities of both parties must be examined thoroughly in order share the responsibility of the children equally. Couples going through a divorce should remember that sharing all responsibilities equally is in the best interests of the child.

Source:, “Southaven mayor seeks protective order and other motions in divorce case,” Yolanda Jones, Oct. 17, 2012


FindLaw Network