Your Legal Guide Through Life’s Twists And Turns

Child support and custody modifications possible with legal help

| Jun 10, 2015 | Modifications and Relocation

Even though a divorce may seem the last act in a couple’s relationship, if they have minor children, then they will be tied together for years to come. Either or both ex-spouses can see a significant change in circumstances if remarriage enters the picture, one spouse needs to leave the area for a job or school or has trouble paying support because of job loss or illness. In these cases, an experienced attorney can help a spouse solve any child support or child custody difficulties.

If a noncustodial parent loses the person’s job and is unable to pay court-ordered child support, then support modification may be possible as long as a court is satisfied that the parent’s job loss and subsequent employment problems are genuine. Once minor children are old enough, child support is usually no longer required. In addition, if a former spouse enters a subsequent relationship that is of direct financial benefit to that spouse, modification of the original support order is also possible.

If a custodial parent must relocate to another city or state for some reason, a child-custody modification may be warranted, as long as the rights of the noncustodial parent are satisfactorily addressed. If the noncustodial parent does not agree and has legitimate reasons to oppose the move, the parent can appeal to a court seeking a custody modification. The custodial parent will have to prove that the relocation is in the best interests of any minor children.

The Tennessee law firm of Steven C. Girsky has decades of experience in handling child support and child custody modification requests. The firm’s attorneys can review the circumstances surrounding such requests and provide solid legal advice that can help a client achieve his or her goals.


FindLaw Network